During winter it gets difficult to maintain good health due to temperature, germs from everyone sneezing and let’s face it we all tend to become extra lazy and sloth like! I love the imagery of winter – the shimmering snow, evenings cuddling in front of the fire, aaa aaa – bump – back to reality -often, it invites illness: flu, coughs, colds, and generally feeling run down. Here are a few tips and remedies to keep in your “Survival Kit” so that you can stay healthy all through the season.
It is essential to preserve a healthy diet and lifestyle during cold weather and here at Ashishveda we recommend the following traditional methods to keep you in good health even during winter.
- Ensure Vitamin C is prevalent in your diet at all times it supports tissue development, is a natural anti-inflammatory and supports the immune system.
- Blend Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, and Rosemary, add 1-2 drops on the bottom of each foot, or in a spray bottle, ( spray around you and your house). This is especially good for children going to school or nursery.
Tips for keeping to a healthy you
- Reduce portion sizes to half
- Eat more at lunch time
- Recipe Urad Daal Pancakes (contains Protein is suitable for vegans and is gluten free)
- one cup Urad Daal
- season according to taste
- ground cumin or ground cinnamon – add a pinch
- Oil to fry
Method : Wash Daal thoroughly. Soak Urad Daal for 5 hours. Blend it till very fine liquid batter. Add either ground cumin or ground cinnamon. Make pancakes in a heavy base pan. Be very gentle. Spread the batter carefully. Use oil all around the pancake so it doesn’t stick to the pan. Be gentle when turning it over to avoid breakages.
Add few drops of lemon juice or pink Himalayan salt, chocolate sauce or even maple syrup. Eat it warm. (you could also eat your favourite ice cream with it – yummy!).
Yoga for winter try Sarvangasana or Trikonasana